ED 630 Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Energy Conservation Project: Boilers vs. Barrel Stoves

View my slideshow!

Collecting and Analyzing Data

After establishing that my project would entail researching gasification boilers as a better alternative to barrel stoves combined with other sources of heating, I begain to collect data. First, I started with my barrel stove. I discovered that it takes 22 cords to heat my house year round. That’s a lot of wood! According to AHS (Alternate Heating Systems), a gasification boiler would only use a third that amount while heating domestic water at the same time! I also took into account the time I spend stacking wood, converting my time into what it would cost me to hire help. Though I believe my estimate is conservative, it does provide a point of reference. Next, I recorded my propane water heating and electrical heating expenses. Moving on to the cost of the boiler, I found I had to do some “fieldwork.”  

Read the rest here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home